Sunday, January 24, 2010

This morning I woke up bright and early (yes, 6:45 on a Saturday morning!) to trek to a yard sale that promised vintage clothing. I was moderately concerned when I pulled up and the yard was bare, with the exception of three large bags sitting on the porch. I timidly meandered up the yard, wondering if the home owner had changed the start time of the sale. It turns out that the owner was just running a little behind, and let me know I was welcome to rummage through the bags. I am certainly glad I did! I found some great garments, one of which is a fantastic 60s mini shift dress, complete with an ascot. I cannot wait to put this in the store next week!

On my way back home (to grab a quick nap of course!) I began to think about how excited I have been to find mini dresses, shift dresses, bright colors, and psychedelic prints. Lately, I have been particularly drawn to garments from the 60s London pop movement. I was thinking that it may be a summer thing, being that it is entirely too hot, so little dresses and bright colors are only appropriate. But then I started mentally pairing bright tights and cardigans with all of my 60s finds, and now I can't wait for cooler weather!


medium 60s




---------------------------
-----------------
After a number of very discouraging attempts (including an incident where an ebay "helpline" employee started deleting all of my perfectly good auctions trying to solve an irrelevant website issue) my first auctions are finally up! In deciding to open an online vintage store, one of the most difficult decisions was ebay vs. etsy. I love both so much for so many different reasons! I decided to give ebay a try since I have prior selling experience there, however this may eventually change. I have a long way to go on my ebay store design, so don't mind the mess this week! I am just ecstatic to get this all started. Here are a few of my favorite items up this week:


--------------------------------
------------------
Concord Marina and A Case of the Mondays


60s Shift DressVintage Clutch

60s Shift Dress: Thrifted
Belt: UO
Shoes: Jeffrey Campbell (from years ago!)
Clutch: Vintage via Pre-Post Modern (Nashville, TN)

photos by Robin

This weekend, my entire family gathered at Concord Marina in Knoxville, TN to celebrate my aunt Carolyn's birthday. It was an amazing time, complete with beautiful weather, drinks, and great conversation. We were able to sneak in some great pictures around the incredible terrain. Following the party, we enjoyed a lazy Sunday, with a nice drive back to Nashville (well, I napped!), pizza, and working on my first auctions, to begin tomorrow!

60s Shift Dress, BeltedConcord Marina
Fashion Inspirations
Building on my basic introduction, it seems like an appropriate time to share a few of my fashion icons. (this being a fashion blog and all)!


As mentioned in my first post, Pattie Boyd (a model in the 60s) is my ultimate fashion inspiration. I have seen so many pictures of her posing around London and traveling the world in beautiful mini dresses, vibrant colors, fabulous tights, and a collection of t-straps that any girl would be jealous of! It was said that she was a muse for Ossie Clark, as he even named some of his pieces "Pattie." I find her story quite interesting, too. Pattie left training to be a beautician to pursue modeling. Early on in her career, she was cast in the Beatles' film A Hard Day's Night, where she met George Harrison. She is the former wife of both George Harrison and Eric Clapton. I have always felt that when you look at her photos, you can feel this great energy. I am assuming that this captivated many people, as she was not only a muse for Ossie Clark, but the inspiration behind the Beatles' song "Something" and Eric Clapton's "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight." I found her biography,Wonderful Tonight, so interesting. I loved all of the details she describes regarding fashion, music, modeling, and life in the 60s and 70s!


debbiezooey
Much of the music I love today was influenced by what my parents listened to when I was growing up. I remember long car rides to various vacation destinations listening to Eric Clapton, Boston, Chicago, Elton John, and Blondie. I still love all of these artists, especially Debbie Harry! She could pull off any style, from punk to elegant. The picture of her above fills me with dress envy! A modern fashion inspiration is Zooey Deschanel. She is always perfectly put together, and she makes it look effortless. She is a great example of reinventing old trends or vintage fashions with modern elements!

Today, it was back to the real world. I woke up with quite a strong case of the Mondays, which undoubtedly followed me into the office today as I locked my keys in the car! Following the aforementioned incident, my day started to look brighter. I got off work early, and tossed in the My So Called Life boxset while working on the ebay store. I can't help but continue to love the 90s grunge revival, especially viewing Angela Chase's wardrobe all afternoon! Little ditzy floral prints, floral rompers, and floral mini dresses are on my late summer wishlist! What items are on your current wishlist?







 
------------------------------------
-----------
Sustainable Fashions




For me, part of the allure of vintage is the eco-friendly factor. Reusing, upcycling, and remixing clothing preserves materials and power used to manufacture new clothing (and can produce some fantastically unique outfits)! I also love how mixing vintage pieces with modern pieces and trends can produce a whole new, fashion forward look. I am excited that so many clothing companies are realizing the importance of sustainable fashions, and providing great options for basics to mix in with vintage pieces. One line that I am particularly excited about is Vicarious By Nature. I really enjoy the raw and natural color in the line, and am already beginning to mentally pair the pieces with things already in my closet!

Well, we are off to a family gathering in Knoxville for the remainder of the weekend....I have packed a new 60s shift dress I stumbled upon this week, and can't wait to wear it. Pictures forthcoming!
------------------------------
-------------------

CLICK NOW
COLLECTION OF WORLD'S BEST WALLPAPERS
WOW WHAT A BEAUTY
AMAZING NATURE
NATURE OF GOD
JAZZ OF LIFE
COOL PHOTOS BANK
BEAUTY OF WILDLIFE
BEST PHOTOS OF THE WORLD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY