Monday, February 2, 2009

From Dallas Federal Reserve President Richard Fischer:

"Let me just be blunt. Protectionism is the crack cocaine of economics. It may provide a high. It's addictive and it leads to economic death"

Editor's note: the provision in question has been alternately referred to as "Buy America" or "Buy American." I started using "Buy America" because Reuters (the source of my initial post on the provision) does. However, it seems "Buy American" is more widely used.

Legendary journalist William Safire has a weekly column in the New York Times Sunday Magazine called, "On Language", in which he explores the origins, meanings, and uses of popular words or phrases. I think the "Buy America"/"Buy American" distinction would be an interesting case. While the essence is the same, does the addition of the 'n' alter the implied scope or meaning in some subtle way? Sadly, I can't answer that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY